A Topographic Survey is a survey that measures the elevation of points on a particular piece of land, and presents them as contours on a plot.
Topographic surveys are a great tool for studying a piece of property for the purpose of development. This survey will show the shape and location of both natural and artificial features within a determined area as well as the surface drainage of water.
The purpose of a Topographic Survey is to gather survey data about the natural and man-made features of the land, as well as its elevations. From this information a three-dimensional map may be prepared. The topographic map is usually prepared in the office after collecting the field data.
The work usually consists of the following:
- Establishing horizontal and vertical control that will serve as the framework of the survey.
- Determining enough horizontal location and elevation (usually called side shots) of ground points to provide enough data for plotting when the map is prepared.
- Locating natural and man-made features.
- Computing distances, angles, and elevations.
- Drawing the topographic map.
Valentino & Associates Land Surveyors use the most up to date technology and equipment to complete our topographic surveys on time and accurately. 25% of our jobs are Topographic Surveys.